May 30, 2017
Ontario Premier Kathleen Wynne has announced welcome changes to workplaces including:
- Raising the minimum wage to $15 an hour by January 1, 2019
- Mandating equal pay for equal work for part-time, temporary, casual and seasonal employees
- Expanding personal emergency leave to 10 days including a minimum of two paid days per year for all workers
- Increasing vacation time to three weeks after an employee is employed 5 years with the same company
- Requiring employees to be paid three hours of wages if their shift is cancelled less than 48 hours before their shift
The move follows many years of dedicated work by community members and organizations, including Ontario Campaign 2000 and Workers Action Centre and is seen as a huge step in the right direction for addressing child and family poverty in the province and ensuring that work is a pathway out of poverty.