Are you struggling to understand and cope with challenges in your personal or professional life? Family Service Toronto Counselling Services offers individual, family and couple counselling.
Counselling may be able to help you. Counselling helps people (from all walks of life) explore options, find solutions, develop coping strategies, identify strengths, locate information, provide resources and promote healing, resiliency and self-empowerment.
Our professional staff can work with you using a variety of tools and approaches including but not limited to cognitive behavior therapy, EMDR, Sensory Motor, Trauma informed therapy, narrative therapy and Emotional Focussed Therapy.
The length of service and frequency of sessions may vary. You will work with your counsellor to develop goals and a timeline for accomplishing those goals.
To book an appointment call our service access line at: 416-595-9618
Fees are charged on a sliding scale based on household income and are designed to be accessible for all income ranges for anyone living or working in the city of Toronto. Family Service Toronto is a non-profit social service agency and fees are required to supplement the funding that we receive for this service.
Staff can provide service in English, Farsi, French, Hindi, Portuguese, Spanish, Tagalog, Tamil, Urdu. Occasionally we may provide service in other languages. When you call for an appointment, please let us know about your language requirements at intake.
FST-Counselling program offers the following services:
We offer single session consultations and on-going counselling.
For workshops and groups please go to Workshops, Groups and Events page.
Counselling Services can help you with:
- how to understand and manage a wide range of emotional difficulties
- communication with partners, children/youth, parents and others
- developing constructive approaches to various challenges in life
- skills to manage stress, anxiety and depression
- developing more meaningful and useful community connections
- dealing with relationship conflicts
- adjusting to the immigration and refugee experience
- coping with trauma which may include sexual or physical abuse, neglect and violence and witnessing traumatic events
At Family Service Toronto we offer confidential trauma informed, strengths-based counselling, support and psychotherapy to adults.
By talking about your experience in a safe and accepting environment we can help you with the following:
- overcoming symptoms of trauma which may include anxiety and/or depression
- working through feelings of shame, betrayal and anger
- developing your self-worth and self-esteem
- learning how to manage intense emotions
- finding more satisfaction and enjoyment in life
- developing your skills at being an attentive and confident parent
- exploring and coping with sexual difficulties
- managing your interactions with the person(s) who caused the trauma
- providing you with suggested readings and resource material
Counselling services provided on an individual basis are goal-directed and time limited. You and your counsellor will work together to define a plan of service and will regularly check in on progress. Groups are offered on a variety of topics.
Contact our Service Access department for more information on these services
Issues you may be facing
Books on Relationships
- Nonviolent Communication: A Language of Life by Marshall B. Rosenberg
- The 5 Love Languages by Gary D. Chapman
- The Seven Principles for Making Marriage Work: A Practical Guide by John M. Gottman and Nan Silver
- The Relationship Cure: A 5 Step Guide to Strengthen your Marriage, Family and Friendships by John Gottman
- Hold Me Tight: Seven Conversations for a Lifetime of Love by Sue Johnson
- The New Rules of Marriage by Terry Real
- How to Improve Your Marriage without Talking About It by Patricia Love and Steven Stosny, PhD
- Stop the Fight! An Illustrated Guide for Couples: How to Break Free from the 12 Most Common Arguments and Build a Relationship That Lasts by Michelle Brody PhD. See the book’s website and chapters at a glance.
- Getting the Love You Want Workbook: The New Couples’ Study Guide by Harville Hendrix, PhD and Helen LaKelly Hunt, PhD
- The Love Fix by Tara Fields
Books on Affairs
- After the Affair: Healing the Pain and Rebuilding Trust When a Partner Has Been Unfaithful by Janis Abrahms Spring
- How Can I Forgive You? The Courage to Forgive, the Freedom Not To by Janis A. Spring
Books regarding Sexual Intimacy
- The Sex-Starved Marriage: Boosting Your Marriage Libido: A Couple’s Guide by Michele Weiner Davis
- The Sex-Starved Wife: What to Do When He’s Lost Desire by Michele Weiner Davis
Books on Depression and Anxiety
- The Mindful Way through Depression by Mark Williams, John Teasdale, Zindel V. Segal and Jon Kabt-Zinn – includes CD with mindfulness/relaxation guided exercises by author
- The 10 Best Ever Depression Management Techniques by Margaret Wehrenberg
- The Buddha’s Brain: The Practical Neuroscience of Happiness, Love & Wisdom by Rick Hanson
- The 10 Best-Ever Anxiety Management Techniques by Margaret Wehrenberg – includes Author guided CD of breath work, Muscle relaxation and Mindfulness
- The Anxious Brain by Margaret Wehrenbnerg
- Calming your Anxious Mind by Jeffry Brantley (Mindfulness approach with forward by Jon Kabit Zinn)