Thank you FST Volunteers!
This week is National Volunteer Week, a time when we celebrate Family Service Toronto (FST) volunteers and the millions of volunteers whose empathy and compassion make a difference to the lives of individuals and communities across Canada.
This year’s theme, “Volunteering is Empathy in Action,” reflects the compassion and generosity volunteers bring to their volunteer positions, and the empathy they develop from connecting with people from diverse backgrounds and life experiences. FST
This year FST volunteers made weekly calls to isolated clients, did outreach to members of their communities, provided administrative support, counselled clients, provided governance, delivered workshops, provided peer support and did research.
Our volunteers told us that in addition to the satisfaction they received from helping others, they gained an understanding of the challenges faced by our clients and communities. Many volunteers also gained confidence in their skills and were able to obtain employment or advancement in their companies.
This year we are implementing a National Volunteer Week social media campaign, so check the FST Website, Instagram, LinkedIn, Twitter and Facebook for posts.
Many thanks to our FST Volunteers! You rock!
Volunteer at FST
Family Service Toronto (FST) was founded by volunteers in 1914 and to this day recognizes volunteers as essential to the organization’s ability to achieve its goals and objectives. Volunteers play a vital role at supporting programs, services and administration throughout the organization.
FST practices are barrier free and support inclusivity and community development. We are committed to developing a service team that reflects the diversity of the population who live and work in the City of Toronto.
FST strives to provide community members with meaningful volunteer placements that develop their interests, and provide them with opportunities to grow and develop, and make meaningful contributions.
We are proud of the dedication of our Volunteers, who bring compassion, caring and commitment to support our work. Last year, our 100 volunteers donated nearly 5,000 hours of their time to assist FST clients and staff throughout the organization.
We welcome you to join our family of volunteers!
Steps to volunteering at FST
- Select a volunteer opportunity from our current volunteer opportunities Please look at the details for any of the current roles below and apply to the one(s) that match your interests, qualifications and availability.
- Submit a Volunteer Application Form.
- Commit to the time frame outlined in the volunteer posting
- Agree to sign all Family Service Toronto registration documents, including Police Reference Check/Vulnerable Sector Search waivers as outlined in the volunteer posting
- Agree to submit qualifications as outlined in the volunteer posting
- Agree to abide by all Family Service Toronto policies and procedures
- Submit references if requested
FST’s process for screening volunteer applicants
- Review the prospective volunteer’s application form and resume (if applicable)
- Interview the prospective volunteer to determine if there is a match between the individual, the organization and the position
- Check references
- Process the applicant’s Police Reference Check/Vulnerable Sector Search as outlined in the volunteer posting
- Notify the applicant when the process is completed.
A probationary period is required for some volunteer roles.
If you are a university or community college student looking for a practicum placement please contact the Student Placement Coordinator by e-mail at [email protected].