Volunteer at FST
Family Service Toronto (FST) was founded by volunteers in 1914 and to this day recognizes volunteers as essential to the organization’s ability to achieve its goals and objectives. Volunteers play a vital role at supporting programs, services and administration throughout the organization.
FST practices are barrier free and support inclusivity and community development. We are committed to developing a service team that reflects the diversity of the population who live and work in the City of Toronto.
FST strives to provide community members with meaningful volunteer placements that develop their interests, and provide them with opportunities to grow and develop, and make meaningful contributions.
We are proud of the dedication of our Volunteers, who bring compassion, caring and commitment to support our work. Last year, our 100 volunteers donated nearly 5,000 hours of their time to assist FST clients and staff throughout the organization.
We welcome you to join our family of volunteers!
Steps to volunteering at FST
- Select a volunteer opportunity from our current volunteer opportunities Please look at the details for any of the current roles below and apply to the one(s) that match your interests, qualifications and availability.
- Submit a Volunteer Application Form.
If you apply for a Counselling Volunteer position please use the Counselling Volunteer Application Form
If you apply for a DKS LGBTQ+ Community Counselling Volunteer position please use the DKS LGBTQ+ Community Counsellor Volunteer Application Form.
- Commit to the time frame outlined in the volunteer posting
- Agree to sign all Family Service Toronto registration documents, including Police Reference Check/Vulnerable Sector Search waivers as outlined in the volunteer posting
- Agree to submit qualifications as outlined in the volunteer posting
- Agree to abide by all Family Service Toronto policies and procedures
- Submit references if requested
FST’s process for screening volunteer applicants
- Review the prospective volunteer’s application form and resume (if applicable)
- Interview the prospective volunteer to determine if there is a match between the individual, the organization and the position
- Check references
- Process the applicant’s Police Reference Check/Vulnerable Sector Search as outlined in the volunteer posting
- Notify the applicant when the process is completed.
A probationary period is required for some volunteer roles.
If you are a university or community college student looking for a practicum placement please contact the Student Placement Coordinator by e-mail at email@example.com.