Seniors Community Connections (previously known as Illahee Community Connections) is a program for seniors groups within five cultural and linguistic communities: Iranian, Tamil, Afghan, Somali and Spanish-speaking. Seniors from these communities meet in several locations in Toronto and Family Service provides:
- workshops on topics relevant to seniors, such as stress management, elder abuse, healthy living, volunteering and financial matters.
- outings to places of interest, such as the Aga Khan museum, the ROM, Niagara Falls
- peer support groups where seniors can meet and share their ideas and stories; give and receive support to each other and share resources.
- a diversity event, where seniors from all communities come together for a day and learn about other cultures and showcase their own talent through music, dance and poetry.
For more information please call:
- Janet Wilson, Manager Community Engagement 416-755-5565 ext 422
- Rodrigo Briones (Tamil and Spanish-speaking seniors) 416-562-1330
- Maryan Ali (Somali and Afghan seniors) 416-585-2044
- Mehrangiz Pournaseh (Iranian seniors) 647-960-0351
Radio Podcast for Spanish seniors
Ondasfm.ca – A link for Spanish speakers to the local Ondas FM Radio webcast that broadcasts 24/7 programming in Spanish from Toronto. Seniors issues are covered in the daily broadcast from 5 a.m. to 7 a.m. on FM 91.9 in Toronto.