Seniors Community Connections (previously known as the Illahee Community Connections) is a program for seniors’ groups within the cultural and linguistic communities of Iranian, Tamil, Afghan, Somali and Spanish-speaking Torontonians. Seniors from these communities meet in various locations. Family Service Toronto supports and provides:
- Workshops on topics relevant and identified by seniors, such as stress management, elder abuse, healthy living, volunteering and financial matters
- Outings to places of interests, such as museums, the ROM, Niagara Falls
- Peer support groups where seniors can meet and share their ideas and stories; give and receive support to each other and share information and resources
- Diversity and inclusion events, where seniors from all communities come together to learn about other cultures and showcase their own talents through music, dance and poetry.
For more information, please call:
- Roberto Abeabe, Manager Community Engagement: 416-755-5565 ext 422
- Rodrigo Briones (Tamil and Spanish-speaking Seniors): 416-562-1330
- Maryan Ali (Somali): 416-585-2044
- Mehrangiz Pournaseh (Iranian Seniors): 647-960-0351
- Rabila Attai (Afghan Seniors): 416-586-9780 ext 427
The Latino Hispanic Community Engagement Program
The Latino Hispanic Community Engagement Program brings pertinent, relevant, and accurate information that includes:
- Weekly video podcast in Spanish to keep Seniors connected and informed with current information, public health announcements, and healthy lifestyles and community well being. Please check this link: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCcWmm1C1lACYKAlrX00ybqA
- Weekly Community Social Information (since the beginning of the pandemic) in partnership with the Hispanic Development Council. The link contains the last 20 editions of Linea Uno: Past Issues-Números Anteriores
- Daily radio broadcast coverage of Seniors’ issues from 5am to 8am. Every Saturdays from 8am to 10am. Every Sundays from 10am to 11am. On ONDAS FM Radio 91.9 and through their 24/7 webcast for Spanish speakers from Toronto. Check out Ondasfm.ca for more information.
- Contact Rodrigo Briones, the Latino Hispanic Community Facilitator, to participate in virtual groups.