Family Service Toronto is committed to providing meaningful learning opportunities to students enrolled in a wide range of programs, particularly in the field of social work. Past FST students have consistently given high ratings to our placements and say they would recommend FST to other students – read the Summary of the 2017-18 Student Satisfaction Survey.
This application process is not for students who wish to volunteer on their own time, or for students looking for paid work. For jobs/volunteering opportunities check our volunteers and/or jobs sections. Please see the List of Academic Programs for examples of student placements that we have hosted in the past. Unless otherwise specified, all placements are unpaid.
Student Eligibility requirements:
- The student must be enrolled in a college or university program that requires them to complete a certain number of hours in their field of study in order to graduate.
- The student’s academic institution must be registered and in good standing with the Ontario Ministry of Training, Colleges, and Universities or their appropriate regional governing body.
- For those seeking education in a regulated field, the student’s degree or diploma program must be recognized by an appropriate regulatory body. Recognition can be through:
- Program accreditation, where it is a standard in the field (e.g. Social Work, Nursing)
- Eligibility for certification with the appropriate professional body (e.g. Counselling, Child and Youth Workers, Addictions and Mental Health Workers)
- Approval by the appropriate professional body (e.g. Social Service Workers)
To see if your school and program meets these requirements, please see the list of Program Requirements for FST Student Placements.
If you are not sure whether you are eligible or have any specific questions about the Student Placement program, please contact the Student Placement Coordinator by e-mail at [email protected]
Student practicum positions will be posted periodically as they become available. If you do not see the type of placement you are looking for, please check this page regularly to see new student placement postings.
Eligible requirements will vary placement to placement, so please read the posted position descriptions carefully to ensure that you meet the requirements before you apply.
FST practices are barrier free and support inclusivity and community development. We are committed to developing a service team that reflects the diversity of the population who live and work in the City of Toronto. FST is a perfume-free and low-scent environment.
After you ensured that you are eligible to apply:
- Review the positions available and apply to one specific position using the student placement application form. Once submitted, you will receive an automatically generated email confirming receipt of the application.
- Top candidates will be selected for an interview with the field instructor. It may take several weeks to be contacted for an interview, depending on the number of applications received. Please note that due to the large volume of applications, we are able to contact only those candidates who are selected for an interview.